Wednesday, July 4, 2018

Incredible treasures from Nubia

Writer's Journal: Greetings from Warsaw, Poland. Work continues on my novel set in 1944 Poland during the Resistance/Rising.  I had a lovely time at the National Museum in Warsaw. It was quite sobering, however, to think that this incredible building with priceless, irreplaceable art and sculpture, was burnt and reduced to rubble in 1944 by the Nazis.  Since this was a second visit, I spent most of my time in front of the Nubian religious art discovered in a church in northern Sudan by Polish anthropologists in 1961. The works were taken just before the area was flooded by the Nasser Dam to the north in Egypt. They were shared with the then-Sudan government and now are at the national museum there in Khartoum. Yes, I would love to conduct research there also.

No comments:

Post a Comment